More About Inspirit Way AlchemyInternal Qigong
A Qigong class with Amadis is a mix of animation, meditation, visualisation and transmission practices.
More about Inspirit Way Alchemy
INSPIRIT WAY ALCHEMY combines and adapts a number of different practices for the Western psyche and needs of our times, specifically:
is the practice which benefits your physical health and constitution. The purpose is to improve your general wellness as well as heal any manifest ailments.
Internal Alchemy (Nei Dan)
is Daoist meditation, visualisation and attunement practices. Through them you connect and experience different aspects of your spiritual reality.
We also include elements of contemporary interpretations of Qigong such as Dao Hua Qigong and Wu Xi.
Working with ancient ‘alchemic’ practices you cultivate your inherent capacity for physical and personal wellness. A subtle yet deep transformation takes place where you find your way to what you truly are. In Chinese philosophy this is understood as your authentic and original state of being. It also leads to experiences of oneness whereby you come to realise your integral connection with nature and the cosmos.
Overview of an Inspirit Way Alchemy Class
A Qigong class with Amadis is a mix of animation, meditation, visualisation and transmission practices which includes movement, posture, voice-work and breath-work techniques. Alongside set sequences and forms you will also explore free-flowing styles or spontaneous qigong.
We begin each session with a focus on physical practices: shaking, opening the joints and stretching the muscles to release tension and tightness, relaxing, softening, invigorating and rejuvenating the body.
Following on, a wide range of postures and movement sequences are combined with breath-work and mindfulness to activate, strengthen and relax the Qi and connect with your body. Some forms focus solely on the physical body; others on your vital energy and essence flowing in the ‘channels of animation’ inside your body, also used in acupuncture.
Movements we explore
We explore forms relating to the Five Chinese Elements in depth. Through specific sequences you come to know the nature and qualities of Fire, Water, Earth, Wood, and Metal and how they relate to you and nature including the cycle of the seasons. These five elements split the year into five terms. You will be introduced to a spectrum of forms and sequences including the Qi Sphere, Qi Rainbow, The Five Animals, The Five Sounds, Element Transformations, Twelve Channel Circulation, The Healing Cycle and The Microcosmic Orbit.
The idea is the more Qi you have the more alive, robust and youthful you feel. The subtle yet real experience of Qi is obtained through internal focussing, what is often described as ‘felt-sense’.
‘Spontaneous Qigong’ which we like to encourage is considered one of the deepest of Qigong practices. Tuning into the Qi with the intention of letting it take charge to initiate your movements and sounds rather than your mind is both an extraordinary and a wonderful experience; trusting in your life force and spirit to direct you. Over time, your capacity for spontaneous Qigong increases and becomes a pure experience of energy flowing through you. In turn this awakens latent creativity, particularly for movement-based art forms.
Over time you often find you develop your potential Qi-related faculties such as intuitive powers, psychic sensitivity and a capacity to heal others.
In classes we allow time to discuss any queries you may have so you can fully grasp what you are exploring. I often present the history, concepts, principles and purpose of the practices, their specific effects and physical, medical and spiritual benefits.
Qigong for Physical Healing
Medical Qigong also known as Healing Qigong is a practice which helps you learn to focus Qi to specific areas or the entire body to heal it. The healing Qi nourishes the cells, unblocks stagnation, releases pain and expels so-called ‘illness energy’ – Bing Qi. This brings healing to problem areas, strengthens your immune system, helps you manage difficult conditions and prevent future ones from developing. Over time, your health and energy will improve and you will feel more vital and youthful. You will build emotional resiliency; your wellness will increase and your symptoms will decrease.
The longer you practice the more internal benefits of this way are revealed. The essential nature and spiritual dimension of existence become ever more apparent.
Qi Gong for Spiritual Healing
You will work with many variations of Internal Alchemy practices and meditations. As your capacity to tune into these transmissions increases so do your spiritual experiences. You will be introduced to a range of meditation practices such as Wu Xi, Three Treasures Cultivation, Heart Master Connection, Vital Spirit Embodiment, Return to the Source.
The notion of being equally connected to the spiritual and physical realms pervades Chinese thought. Qigong is a modern interpretation of traditional practices that bring about this connection.
This distinct style practice at Inspirit Way Alchemy gradually instils in you a new way of being, Wu Wei, which means living in a ‘free and easy’ way with ‘effortless effort’ which Daoists traditionally aspire to. Your internal practices will increasingly reveal your integral spiritual nature, your Vital Spirit, and The Natural Way (Dao).
One fascinating aspect of this style of Qigong is Spontaneous Qigong. This is a spontaneous response to the Qi flowing through you so your movements are not scripted by you. Instead they arise from a natural impulse, letting your body move freely without forethought.
About Amadis – Your teacher
I have studied various styles of Qigong since 1988 and have taught for 25-plus years.
I bring knowledge and insights gained through my study of Classical Chinese language, medicine, philosophy and spirituality; as well as body-centred therapy. My 33 years of clinical experience in Traditional Chinese Medicine has enriched my understanding and teaching of Qigong.
Over the years I have learned different Qigong styles to create a holistic system suitable for our times. The relevant trainings and explorations to Inspirit Way Alchemy have been: Oriental Medicine, Medical Qigong, Transformational Qigong, Internal Alchemy, Buddhist and Daoist practices and philosophy.
Experiential study and training in Chinese Qigong, Internal Alchemy, meditation and healing:
- 1989 – 1993 Medical Qigong – workshops – Dr.Tinh Thong Nguyen
- 1990 – 2007 Dao Hua Qigong – classes, workshops and retreats – Master Zhi Xing Wang
- 1991 – 2007 Taiji Wu Xi Gong, Tian Tai and Wu Xi courses – Dr. Hong Xin Shen
- 1992 – 1994 Bu-Qi – Medical Qigong training course – Dr. Hong Xin Shen
- 1994 Medical Qigong – training course – Professor Liu-Liu Bang
- 1994 – 1995 Dao Hua Qigong Healing – training course – Master Zhi Xing Wang
- 1998 – 1999 Dao Hua Qigong – teacher training course – Master Zhi Xing Wang
- 2000 Daoist Qigong – Daoist spiritual workshops – Master Ni
Professional trainings in Oriental Medicine and study of Chinese philosophy and spirituality:
- 1983 – 1987 Bachelor of Acupuncture (B.Ac.) – International College of Oriental Medicine
- 1984 – ongoing Nei Jing Seminars (Chinese Medical and Daoist classics) Elizabeth Rochat
- 1989 – 1991 Traditional Chinese Medicine Diploma – London Academy of Oriental Medicine
Healing and spiritual development trainings complimentary to internal Qigong:
- 1977 – 1997 Spiritual Realisation courses and lectures – Master Chan
- 1980 – 1985 The Quortonio Pattern (Chinese psychology) apprenticeship– Derek Minor
- 1993 – 1999 Cellular Connection healing courses – Shaun de Warren
- 2004 – 2012 Diamond Logos courses and teachers training – Faisal Muquaddam and Yogananda
My professional history of using Qigong with people, one-to-one, in workshops or courses has been:
- 1993 – ongoing Inspirit Way Alchemy workshops, classes and courses
- 1996 – ongoing Medical Qigong clinical practice
- 2000-2005 The Five Elements – Cycle of Life courses
- 2012-2016 Humanistic Alchemy training courses
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the core aims of Inspirit Way Alchemy?
Inspirit Way Alchemy aims to:
- facilitate health, vitality, spirituality and well-being.
- support your personal and spiritual cultivation of yourself.
- connect to nature, the earth and the cosmos and know their reality.
What makes Inspirit Way Alchemy a unique Qigong system?
Inspirit Way Alchemy has a unique approach by:
- Integrating the physical, psychological and spiritual so they potentiate each other. In Inspirit Way Alchemy you enlist body, mind and spirit to address your health needs and become whole.
- Combining ancient spiritual philosophy and practices, known as Internal Alchemy, with traditional self-healing and energy-generating methods known as Vital Practice.
- Resolving your outer and inner struggles to realise your innate human potential.
Can Inspirit Way Alchemy help me in my daily life?
It can, by helping you to:
- Have a firmer inner grounding to provide you with greater balance and stability.
- Transform the way you react to stress and hence deal with situations.
- Gain a greater clarity and understanding into any illness or stress you may be suffering.
How does Inspirit Way Alchemy promote beneficial changes?
It creates a space where you can:
- pay attention to what is happening in your body, feelings, mind and heart.
- discover yourself, heal and grow.
- find your true authentic self.
Can Inspirit Way Alchemy work on everyone?
Yes it does as:
- Inspirit Way Alchemy is not a rigid system, instead it works with who you are and what you need.
- Over time you get to develop your unique style guided by your life force and spirit.
- you get to recover your natural disposition for self-healing, vitality and spirituality.
Does Inspirit Way Alchemy initiate internal healing differently to other Qigong modalities?
- You don’t only directly work on what ails or troubles you, instead you mainly engage with practices that increase wellbeing.
- You enrich your Qi/vitality and Jing/essence which fortify and sustain you from the start.
- You discover your latent internal healing capacity and spiritual potential.
How does Inspirit Way Alchemy offer a practice that also induces self-development?
Inspirit Way Alchemy is a system of both healing and spiritual development, so able to:
- Create the right conditions for deep inner transformation, remedy and realisation.
- Bring all your different aspects, including those of the Five Elements and Yin-Yang duality parts into an integral whole within you.
- Align you to your spiritual vitality, wisdom and authenticity.
- Access your innate resources, known as the Three Treasures: your spiritual consciousness, essence and vitality.
What do you mean by attunement practices?
In practice these entail:
- physical movement sequences and breathwork.
- focus on what’s happening in your body whilst doing these.
- Methods to connect with your vital life force to increase and circulate it.
- Most importantly, touching into and connect with your spirituality.
How can my spirit help me?
Whether we call it original being, true self, spirit, we are describing the inner you. This pristine reality awaits for you.
- Here you find inner harmony, tranquility, clarity, mastery, beauty and joy.
- When unite with your spirit, you are nourished, revived and enriched on all levels.
- This is the source of your wholeness, wellness and true potential.
What inspires you to work with people with Inspirit Way Alchemy?
I am inspired to:
- Share the wonderful, helpful and practical things I have discovered through the study and practice of Alchemy and Classical Chinese Spiritual Philosophy and Medicine.
- Offer support and guidance on the quest for spiritual meaning, healing and wellbeing.
- See people grow and blossom into the vital spiritual being they were meant to be.
What makes you a trustworthy and competent Qigong teacher?
Having dedicated much of my life to learning, practicing, and teaching Qigong. For me it is my spiritual practice and and vocation as much as a profession.
- I have explored Qigong and Chinese spirituality for over three decades and have practiced long enough to have a solid bedrock of experience. I’ve been a Qigong teacher for 25 years so have gained plenty of insights how to best present these ancient teachings for Westerners in the twenty-first century.
- I have attended a wide range of Qigong workshops and courses and teacher trainings. For details please see my Inspirit Way Alchemy CV.
Can I practice Qigong with restricted movement due to some underlying issue?
Yes you can still participate in classes. You simply do the mocements to the degree you can, taking care of yourself and respecting your limitations. You can even take temporary breaks and sit down if you need to during the classses. If your condition is one able to improve then over time there is a good possibility it will do so following this approach.
What should I wear to a Qigong session?
Loose light clothing is ideal so you can move freely. Bring an extra warmer layer or cover for when we sit down for the meditation. You can wear light indoor footwear or socks with soles that can grip wooden surfaces.
How long before I can expect to see benefits in my everyday life?
Everyone is different so there is no rule of thumb. Some can do straight from the first session they attend, others can take several sessions. Most people feel a sense of greater relaxation soon after they start. The deeper the benefit, the longer it takes as with any authentic practice.
How does Qigong differ from Tai Chi?
Tai Qi is considered a ‘soft’ martial art with its roots in self-defence. Qi Gong along with Nei Dan are understood as ‘internal alchemy’ with their roots in Daoist spirituality. Qigong is thought to be the precursor of Tai Qi and many martial arts that use Qi.
Do I need to practice at home between sessions to get the benefit?
It certainly helps to practice at home but it is not essential as long as you regularly attend classes. Until you ‘master the Qi’, which for most takes years, one hour of practice in a class led by a teacher is considered to have the equivalent benefit as ten hours on your own. Having said that, benefits are bound to come sooner if you do some practice at home between sessions; the main one being a greater sense of wellbeing and vitality.